Pages

17 April 2013

DIY- How to do a bentonite clay mask

So if there is ever something that I can do or make myself, I generally do. Especially when it comes to beauty products. I am a super mixtress at home. One of the things I like to treat myself to every week is a bentonite clay mask. Bentonite clay is mostly made up from aged volcanic ash. One pretty cool thing about it is that its known to produce an electrical charge when you add water to it (dont worry though, it doesnt hurt!). Its also known to be an absorbtive clay. The electrical components help draw up and absorb the toxins in your skin (the clay carries a negative charge, while all the toxins and bacteria in your skin have a positive charge).

The recipe (for dry skin):

1. Equal parts clay and oil of your choice. (I use avocado oil, I do 1 teaspoon of each and it makes more than enough)
2. Enough water to make it into a paste. (a little less than 1 tablespoon, if you need more, then just add more water)
3. Leave it on for 10 minutes or until it dries.
4. Rinse with cool water.

***Dont use anything metal when using bentonite clay because it takes away from its effectiveness. I always use a plastic spoon and a plastic or glass bowl when making my mix.

If you dont have dry skin then you can leave out the oil. Otherwise I would suggest adding a moisturizing oil because the mask can be very drying. Also, as its drying you face will feel super tight! I never leave mine on for more than 10 minutes. After I rinse it off my skin feel SO soft and smooth. I always moisturize my skin after. Your skin might be a little red after, but no worries it goes away in 30 minutes or so. Here are some pics that you guys can check out:


                                   
                        



3 comments:

  1. Very interesting! I've always wanted to make my own face products, especially since everytime I start using a product, a company will at some point decide to discontinue it. Right now, I need a great daily moisturizer. (I'm ranting.) I always love a mask, though. Just for the feeling it gives... Saw you on LWML.

    Sharon
    http://makeitorfixit.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am actually transitioning into making my own moisturizr...right now I am just testing them out so hopefully soon I can get back with you guys and let you know! I love your site, I actually bought a sewing machine last month in hopes that I could do some of my own projects! I want to make a maxi dress for the summer, since they can be pricy in the stores! Nice site!

      Delete
  2. How cool that you can make your own clay mask. I'm stopping by and following along via the linkin' with my ladies hop. ;)
    Maria
    www.thislifesbeautifulmoments.com

    ReplyDelete